Your Right to Know
The NHCL provides and shares information about the operation of the library with members of the community. The New Haven Community Library is a self governing 501(C)(3) organization incorporated under the laws of the state of Vermont. The Library meets the Minimum Standards for Vermont Public Libraries. The five Library Trustees are elected at Town Meeting. Please contact any Trustee if you have any questions.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall operations and service of The New Haven Community Library, including budget, policy, and planning. There are five members on the Board, one elected each year at Town Meeting, each serving a three year term.
The Board of Trustees normally meets on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Library. Meetings are open to the public.
See the About the Library page for a list of the current trustees.
Read our Librarian's most recent Annual Report (2016) to the Town of New Haven.
Financial Annual Report
Check out our most recent Financial Annual Report to the Town of New Haven.
The Library's 5-year Plan (dated 2016) was approved in June 2017.
The Library's Policy Statement was last revised on Sept 17, 2015. It is reviewed annually by our Trustees. Library Policy includes:
- Service Philosophy (Mission Statement, Governance, and Service Priorities)
- General Operation of the Library (including Children in the Library, Animals in the Library, Confidentiality, Nondiscrimination)
- Collection Development (Principles of Intellectual Freedom, Responsibility and Guidelines for Selection of Materials, Gifts, Weeding, Withdrawal and Disposal of Materials, Availability of Materials for People with Disabilities, Procedure for Review of Selections)
- Public Access to the Internet (Philosophy, Who May Access the Internet, Rules for Computer Use)
- Financial Management Policy (Added in August 2013)
Board of Trustee Bylaws
The Bylaws (PDF) for the NHCL Board of Trustees were last reviewed and approved in September 17, 2015.