Friends of NHCL
Latest Friends News
Friends will meet again in September. Happy summer!
New members are always invited to join, and need only see or call Deborah Lundbech at the library.
2018/19 Friends Officers:
- President – Susan Smiley
- Secretary - Donna Provin
- Treasurer – Michele Chester
Our mission is to help sustain the numerous programs that the Friends of the New Haven Community Library support. We always welcome fresh ideas and creativity, so please consider stopping in at one of our meetings to see how you can help support our Library in this way. Scroll down to read "Friends are Essential."
The Friends meet the first Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Library from September through June. We are delighted that the fall has brought a wave of new Friends and we would be very happy to welcome additional members. Please call our Librarian if you have further questions.
Who are the Friends?
The library Friends meet monthly on Wednesday evenings throughout the fall, winter and spring. The group helps to support the library through several fundraising events during the year (February’s Chocolate Delight Night is one of our most popular), sponsors speakers from the Vermont Humanities Council, and works in other ways to encourage community involvement.
Anyone interesting in joining us is urged to contact Deborah Lundbech at the library.
Looking for a new volunteer opportunity?
The Friends of the Library is a fun way to contribute to a local, non-profit: your library! Friends advocate for the library and oversee well established fund raisers throughout the year.
How you can help sustain the library: The Friends are always open to anyone interested in helping to sustain our library. What does it mean to "sustain our library"? Friends have helped the library by raising funds and organizing events like "Food, Wine, Books" and holding biannual book sales. Special programs and book awards are made possible by the Friends. We invite speakers each year from the Vermont Humanities Council Speakers Bureau.
Check out the Friends' brochure or pick up a copy at the librarian's desk for information on who we are and what we do..
Join Us at the Next Friends meeting!
Examples of how our funds have been used:
- The Friends of the Library contributed $500 toward the purchase of the storage shed just outside the library. It serves as a convenient storage space for the many books that are offered at our book sales.
- In the fall of 2014 the Friends of the New Haven Community Library purchased a new iPad Air tablet for the Library. It has been very popular. We're sure its popularity will continue to grow as more people discover how easy and fun it is to use.
- The Friends of the Library purchased two beautiful new bookcases for the library in 2013. They are housing the Young Adult graphic novels and the children's DVDs.
Annual Fundraising Events Held by the Friends
- Chocolate Delight Night - A feast of everything chocolate held at Lincoln Peak Winery in February
- Ripton Coffee House (preparing and selling refreshments), usually held in the fall
- and... our popular Book Sales every Spring & Fall!
Friends are Essential: Programs we contribute to or fund
The Friends are an active, dedicated group who bring energy, community involvement, and provide core support to enhance the Library's services. In addition to funding the many programs listed below, we invite you to stop in and view the gorgeous cherry circulation desk, shelf ends and computer carrels made by Stark Mountain Woodworking and acquired in part with a very generous donation from the Friends.
- Books For Babies - A book is donated to the NHCL Children's Collection in the name of every baby born in the Town of New Haven. Each book has the baby's name and date of birth written inside.
- Green Mountain Book Awards (Books for Teens) - The VT Department of Libraries nominates 10 to 15 books every year that are of special interest to young adults. The Friends purchase these books for the Library's Young Adult collection.
- Addison County Readers
- Imagination Library
- Friends Speaker Series, including Vermont Humanities Council Speakers
- Other Speakers sponsored in partnership with the Library
- Libri Foundation Children's Books
- CLiF (Children's Literacy Foundation) Books
- Special Award Books
- H.O.P.E (Helping Overcome Poverty's Effects) based on Middlebury, VT
- Children's Summer Reading Program - The Friends purchase and present a book to each participant enrolled in the program.
- New furniture (shelves and bins) and other supplies requested by the Librarian